Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Howell hopes Masters win will spark fine season

A STELLAR showing at this week's Clariden Leu Singapore Masters is what David Howell needs to kick-start his quiet season.

The world No 18 may be the highest-ranked golfer in the 204-man field here, but he is certainly not on top of the form chart.

As he said yesterday at the Laguna National Golf and Country Club: 'I've not been swinging the club particularly well.

'There's lots of hard work ahead of me, but I'm starting to get things together on the driving range.'

The 31-year-old from Swindon, England, finished third on the European Tour Order of Merit last year, but now lies a lowly 94th.

His stuttering start was in contrast to the bright manner he began last season - beating Tiger Woods by three strokes to win the HSBC Champions tournament in Shanghai.

What was the secret of his stunning win?

Said Howell: 'The main difficulty is keeping control of your own emotions.

'Fortunately, Tiger did not play his best golf that day.

'I had a one-stroke lead, started strong and put pressure on Tiger to perform really well on the back nine. That forced him into some mistakes.'

While memorable, the Shanghai win is not Howell's proudest achievement.

The two-time Ryder Cup winner counts lifting last year's BMW PGA Championship as the main highlight of his 11-year career.

He said: 'That's the European Tour's flagship event.

'But, without the experience of beating Tiger, that win may not have come about.'

Just as the Shanghai victory sparked off a fine season for him, he is hoping a win here would do likewise.

He said: 'That put me right up the top, and I had the momentum on my side.

'It hasn't started that way this time, but I ended very poorly last year, so I hope to do the opposite this year.

'I must remember - it's a marathon, not a sprint.'

However, with the US Masters coming up next month, he knows he has to hit top gear soon.

He said: 'If I can do well here, that would be a great boost to me going into the US Masters. I need to regain some confidence.'

The last time the Englishman played here was in 2005, when he finished 55th in the same tournament.

ALVIN FOO

No comments: